The Agrarian and Spatial Planning Ministry organized a coordination meeting on peatlands in cultivation rights title...
The Agrarian and Spatial Planning Ministry held a coordination meeting on peatlands in cultivation rights title (HGU/Hak Guna Usaha) areas.
By Sofyan Djalil
The Agrarian and Spatial Planning Ministry organized a coordination meeting on peatlands in cultivation rights title (HGU) areas attended by delegations from the Agrarian and Spatial Planning Ministry, the Peatland Restoration Agency (BRG), and representatives of palm oil plantation businesses. In the meeting, the parties involved agreed on five points regarding applications in HGU areas with peatland, applications already in process of being issued decision letters, and cultivation rights titles issued prior to Presidential Regulation No. 1/2016.
The five primary points resulting from the coordination meeting were:
- The Agrarian and Spatial Planning Ministry and BRG will verify applications with the the Restoration Priority Map, as determined in BRG’s Decision Letter No. SK 05/BRG/KPTS/2016 regarding the indicative map for restoration.
- In order to be granted decision letters for cultivation rights titles within the seven priority restoration provinces and other provinces, rights holders must commit to the following:
- Preserving and maintaining peatlands located within cultivation rights title areas, which are included in preservation criteria in accordance with the corresponding regulation;
- Performing restoration on degraded lands;
- Listing the above obligations on their cultivation rights title certificate;
- Reporting all preservation, protection, and/or restoration activities to BRG and the Agrarian and Spatial Planning Ministry every six months.
- Regional BRGs or other agencies dealing with peatland preservation will be included in the structure of Committee B in dealing with applications for cultivation rights titles. (Committee B falls under the National Land Agency and is tasked with examination, research, and assessment of new applications, extensions, and renewals for cultivation rights titles.)
- The Agrarian and Spatial Planning Ministry and BRG will reverify applications for cultivation rights titles if peatlands are found in the proposed areas.
- The Agrarian and Spatial Planning Ministry, the Environment and Forestry Ministry, and BRG agreed to use the same peatland reference map referred to in the permitting process.